I left you last week with my before’s of the not so happy friends space and deets on what this room needs to do for us here. The first step in this big ole makeover is to clear out and paint! We actually sold all of the furniture in here (minus the vintage workbench) on Craigslist so it left me with a nice blank slate.
What color did I choose? Here’s a shot of the moodboard…
Which I stared at FOREVA to figure out the best color to compliment the emerald green, the grassy green and the fuschia rug. The obvs and easiest choice would have been a white or neutral. But let’s be real here folks, when do I ever do the obvious thing? And when do I ever do white? I just couldn’t. White is fantastic, but I think I’m traumatized by too many white walls as a renter for 7 years.
Anyway, I got loads of color samples in everything from aubergine to every shade of coral to charcoal to finally mints. Aubergine was my next fave but with only one window in the room I felt it would have been too dark, especially given our use as a classroom and imagination abounds in here. So mint it was and I finally decided on….
Pondscape by Behr!
The perfect shade, with enough green to pair nicely with the grassy green and emerald green while allowing the rug and sofa to shine. A hint of blue made it not so minty that the whole room was just green. With that we bought our paint and began the fun, although VERY messy process of transforming the room!
Everybody wanted in on the fun!
Our 8 year old was the trim painter and took his job VERY seriously.
And our littlest, almost 5 year old had to grab a brush and paint although every other minute “mommy, I need more paint”
And the room is painted! (And left us with 2 hours of scrubbing the floor from drippys and splatters, but hey makin memories up in here!) I had to touch up along the ceiling as the previous owners had painted this room a dark forest green and some of it was on the ceiling. So to get a clean line I climbed up on the roller step ladder scaffolding thingy and used an art brush to paint a clean line around the entire perimeter. I’m still recovering.
Next up was putting together the antique doors and building them a frame! Here are the doors and the “frame” they were sold with.
I bought these sight unseen and based on only a pic from online. They said they came with a frame and hardware so it was perfect. Except when we got them home it wasn’t a frame it was the decorative trim.
This is how we solved that dilemma.
We bought 3 2×4’s and screwed them directly to the back of the trim lining up tight with the hinges. Essentially this replicated the frame that the trim/doors was originally attached to.
You can see the 2×4 lined up tight with the hinges, we screwed the hinges to the 2×4 with the hinge fitted through the trim.
And voila you have a sturdy (albeit somewhat wonky) frame, it was not solid as there was no base cross piece.
Now we’re ready to attach the frame to the wall!!
First up was bringing the frame in and measuring to position it center in the room. Then we used a level on both sides to make sure the sides were perfectly straight. (never mind one of our dog’s big ole booty!) Once this was done we used a pencil and marked 2 places on both sides and the top where we were going to place the L brackets to attach the frame to the wall. (We are so technical, it’s scary)
Here are the L brackets being attached to the wall on the pencil marks. We seriously lucked out as all the brackets lined up perfectly with studs. Whaaaa!!!!! I know!!! I need to buy a lottery ticket!
Then we lined up the frame back on the brackets (double checked with the level on both sides) and screwed the brackets to the 2×4’s. And you have a solid frame that ain’t goin anywhere!
Next week is attaching the doors and installing the greenery wall. You guys are NOT going to want to miss that, it’s indescribable!
And feel free to check out Mr. Subscriber for regular notifications from this lil blog when posts are published!
Love & Hugs & Doggie Butts