It’s the halfway point of this fall’s One Room Challenge and I am stoked to share the big feature wall I’ve been dreaming about for the last couple of months. (literally dreaming, praying it came together as well as I envisioned it in real life) For a quick catch up on what’s been happening so far, here are ORC week 1 and week 2!
I left you last week with the frame installed on the wall that had been freshly painted mint (Pondscape by Behr)!
Our next step in this project was to install the greenery panels. These are faux greenery panels that are made to use on fencing to create privacy in the backyard. You can also use them on interior applications.
I had a 13’6″ by 9′ wall to cover (minus the doors area) so I ordered 6 boxes of Uland’s artificial mixed vine and fern panels. (Each box covers approximately 33.3 sq ft and don’t worry I will share the direct link to these in an upcoming post on my sources!!) We opened the boxes and got to work!
Here’s a shot of the front of the panels, all the greenery actually sticks up off of the panels, though they were squished flat from being in the boxes here. (I’ll get to solving that later)
And the back of the panels, is a grid pattern for easy lining up and attaching.
We used a standard staple gun with 3/8 inch staples to attach these bad boys to the wall. We opted to start around the frame and work our way out to the corners for a cohesive look and if we had to piece it we could do it on the sides instead of the center where your eye is focused.
We lined up each panel next to the other and stapled around the edges and in the middle of the panel (just holding aside the greenery)
It went fairly quickly as I lined up and held the panels while the hubs stapled. Eventually we got into a rhythm where he was able to hold and staple while I lined up the next one. (If you are concerned about damage to the drywall, DON’T be!! We tested one panel first to see how it went with removing the panels and what was left behind after pulling out the staples and the holes were so small you couldn’t see them. We would probably just repaint this wall if we ever removed the greenery and the paint would fill the tiny holes)
We quickly realized we were going to get 2 full rows of panels (vertically) and were going to need to cut down and fit panels for the end rows. It was really easy to do as we just flipped the panels over and cut along the back grid.
The rest of the gaps we filled with leftover pieces we had cut off to fit. Once we pieced it all in, I went back and floofed all the greenery (yes floof is my own technical design term!) just using my fingers in a combing motion I separated and lifted the greenery to make it stand up. Some of the greenery pieces fell off but I placed them wherever there seemed to be a need for it.
Now, how about some doors to go on those frames?! They had the original lift off hinges so we just lifted each door right onto the corresponding hinges that we reinforced in the frame and tada!! We have doors. The right door was missing one piece of the hinge so that one is stationary (I didn’t want to risk damaging it by opening it with only one hinge attached) but it works perfectly as I wanted it too, so no harm no foul!
Apologies for the slightly fuzzy pic, I left him standing there holding onto the heavy door alone while I jumped back to snap a pic. The things we do!
And we have the focal wall!! Antique 18th century french doors and trim with a luscious oh so real you have to touch it and even then you still think it’s real greenery wall! I was SO stoked with how the whole project came together and what a major effect it gives to the space.
Next week I have a DIY floating desk!! That one is another project I dreamed up, you definitely won’t want to miss that one either!
**Make sure you hit up the subscribe if you don’t want to miss a single thang!**