The last few days have seen me a hot mess of flurry over here. I’ve been selling and listing tons more for sale, creating even more piles for donate and rearranging furniture. I’m still not done yet but I thought I would share with you my checklist of things that we have on the agenda to get the house in gleaming house selling ready perfection.
- Paint touch ups.. I’ve been doing this randomly already in different areas of the house and I will probably keep doing it as every time I turn around I swear there’s another little nick or nail hole I missed. Luckily this is an easy job!
My daughter snapped his pic of me touching up. After we moved her dresser I saw that we missed a few spots from when we initially painted it, alas I busted out a little can to fix that!
2. Staying on top of our yearly maintenance for the heating systems we had them inspected and will be taping the 18 point checklist inspection sheet to the side of them. I was told by our inspector years ago that this is a great thing to do as it clearly shows when they were last inspected (date) and the condition. So when you have a buyer and an inspector comes through you clearly have posted that everything is in tip top shape, it eliminates any concerns the buyer or inspector may have.
3. Carpet cleaning…happening today! We spent yesterday moving out all the furniture from the upstairs and basement so we could get the carpets vacuumed thoroughly and ready for a deep clean. I like having them cleaned regularly anyway, but I made a point of having it done before we list. I want everything as clean as possible!
4. We need to rent scaffolding ($75/day) so I can get up high and clean cobwebs, patch a few screw holes in the ceiling (years ago I hung several glass orbs from the ceiling in lieu of a light fixture) and wash the upper windows.
5. Install new carpet in the master bedroom….we ripped out the old carpet and painted the subfloors (you can read about it here) but I want to put carpet down as I think most buyers would prefer that.
Here are those painted subfloors in the master bedroom!
6. Window well replacement….We have 3 big window wells in the unfinished portion of our basement and 2 look brand new while 1 is pretty rusted. We were planning to replace that this spring anyway, we just have a timetable to do it now! Before April. 😀
7. We went around and replaced almost all of the lightbulbs in the house with bright led bulbs (this made a huge difference in all the bathrooms and basement) and I will be replacing them in the family room ceiling when I get that scaffolding! You always want it as light and bright as possible!
8. Staging….Almost everything is staying the same with some minor tweaking. We decided to sell our big game table so that left an open space in the basement where I put a cute little seating area. Our daughter’s room feels 10x bigger since we moved her giant dollhouse to the unfinished area in the basement (she likes her room even more now!) where she can still play with it. Now I am playing with some different art and moving her dresser. I plan to slightly rearrange the boys rooms too today. It’s all about creating optimum traffic flow and showing off the sizes of the rooms!
With the staging comes more stuff I decided to sell/move out of the house. Here’s the current sell pile in the garage. I’m sure it will continue to grow!
9. Freshly caulk the bathroom sinks and vanities. It’s a simple job but makes a big difference.
10. New shower handles in the master bathroom. One has always been missing and instead of trying to hunt down which one it is we are going to put new handles and plates on them.
11. Scrub out the inside of kitchen cabinets and get rid of anything we don’t use.
12. Assemble a binder of info to leave out for buyers to peruse when they come for a showing. This info includes utility averages, info on the area, specifics on the house, and local school info.
That’s what I have on my list right now but I’m sure I’ll find something else that we will add to it. And we are trying to do all this in conjunction with staying on top of the kids schooling (you can read more about our homeschooling here) and we are starting 2 kids sports activities next week, yikes! I’ll keep you posted on getting things done, it’s already been a crazy week and we have a few more to go! Good vibes peeps, gotta stay with the good vibes.
What do you have on a to do list before putting your house up for sale? Can you think of something I missed? Share in the comments below, I always love to hear from ya!
And don’t forget to hit up Mr. Subscribe oe’r on the right there so you don’t miss any of this crazy going on!
And if you aren’t already hit me up on Instagram, (link in sidebar) I post shots on there every day of different areas and you will see if/when things change in here!
Wish me luck I can get it all done!